Teen vaping has gained a lot of popularity in the past few years, especially in the teen community. Any person who has a kid who is a teenager may already be familiarized with the concept of vaping. However, it is imperative to know that vaping can have several negative impacts on a person’s health and well-being. So, if a teenager you know has been vaping, you need to put a stop to it immediately. To find out more about the negative impacts of vaping and learn how to make them stop, let us know!
What is Vaping?
“Vaping is the act of inhaling and exhaling the vapor produced by the heated nicotine liquid (often called “juice”) of an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette or e-cig), vape pen, or personal vaporizer.” Now, if you are unfamiliar with the meaning of an e-cigarette, these are electronic devices that release nicotine. Moreover, they do this by electronically heating a liquid containing nicotine and many other flavorings and chemicals.
To use the e-cigarette, users inhale the aerosol into their lungs to introduce the nicotine into their bodies. By doing this, the cigarette releases a cloud of aerosol or vapor, hence the name “vaping.”
Vaping Facts You Need to Know
If you are keen to know more about vaping, you can check out the following facts concerning some of the scary vaping facts you need to know:
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has done a study to show that over 5 million teenagers are using e-cigarettes at the moment.
- 1.6 million teenagers take part in using e-cigarettes over 20 times in a single month.
- Almost one million teenagers use an e-cigarette on an everyday basis.
- Vapes juice has a massive variety of flavors, making them a lot more attractive to young adults. Some of the most popular flavors among teens are fruit flavors and candy flavors.
- As teens increase the number of times they vape, they also increase their chances of becoming addicted. By doing this, quitting becomes even more and more difficult.
- The majority of the teens who vape use e-cigarettes from a brand called JUUL, which is pronounced like “jewel.”
- The reason behind JUUL e-cigarettes’ success is partly because of their attractive designs. Its design is very simplistic and makes the e-cigarette appear just like a trendy electronic device.
- JUUL devices have liquid vape pods containing twice as much nicotine as most other vapes do.
- E-cigarettes, especially from the JUUL brand, can be hidden quite easily, even in plain sight. Teens can use them and carry them around everywhere without anyone noticing.
- Proof of age is not required by all online retailers, so pretty much every single teen and kid can access them. In consequence, teens can purchase vape flavors and e-cigarettes online without anyone’s consent.
How Does Vaping Affect Teens’ Health?
As we previously stated, vape liquid contains nicotine. In case you are not aware, nicotine is a highly addictive drug. You can find nicotine in regular cigarettes and other tobacco products. As a matter of fact, “a recent study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that 99% of e-cigarettes contain nicotine even if they do not disclose that fact”. This proves that nicotine is highly addictive and that it can be very harmful to the human brain. This is even worse for an adolescent brain since it still has not even finished developing.
This all shows that the act of vaping can impact a teenager’s health in a very negative way. To explain further, here are some more of the main adverse effects that vaping can cause:
- Nicotine can damage some of the brain parts in charge of learning, mood, attention, and impulse control. Since these brain parts are still developing in teens, they are an even more vulnerable group.
- Nicotine alters the formation of synapses in the brain. Synapses are the connections between brain cells that enable the brain to learn and remember information.
- By using nicotine, teens are even more likely to become addicted, not only to nicotine but other drugs as well.
- Teens that vape is more likely to smoke cigarettes in the future.
- E-cigarettes are filled with a considerable amount of nicotine. The nicotine content of one JUUL pod is the same as the one in a cigarette pack.
- Due to these high levels of nicotine, vaping is highly addictive. Moreover, to make matters worse, teens are a lot more susceptible to addiction than adults. As teens’ brains haven’t finished developing, they are more likely to adapt to the use of drugs and alcohol.
- Addiction negatively affects the ability to focus. Studies have shown that although vaping initially increases teens’ alertness and attention, it has adverse effects in the long run. Teens end up suffering from a staggering decrease in their attention span.
- Certain carcinogenic compounds can be found inside E-cigarettes and similar devices. As a matter of fact, a recent study found extremely high levels of carcinogens in the urine of teens who vape.
- Vaping produces lung irritation, just like people who smoke regular cigarettes. This irritation also looks similar to those who suffer from lung disease and can cause severe damage to vital immune system cells.
- Numerous teens have suffered lung illnesses due to vaping, and hundreds of them have even died. The cause of these deaths still has not been proven. Doctors are arguing between it being the bootleg cartridges containing THC, CBD oil, or legal nicotine cartridges. Moreover, the American Medical Association recommends that people avoid vaping entirely until they can get a definite answer on the cause.
- Vaping can increase heart rate and blood pressure. By doing this, the chances of suffering circulatory problems increase as well.
There is very little information on how safe it is to be inhaling aerosol from an e-cigarette. Moreover, something that has been discovered about teens and their health when vaping is that they tend to believe that all they are inhaling is water vapor, which is entirely harmless. However, this could not be further from the truth. Not only does vape aerosol contain nicotine, but it is filled with other harmful or poisonous substances. These could be anything from heavy metals, chemicals linked to lung disease, and cancer-causing chemicals.
Do Teens Want to Quit Vaping?
After finding out more about so many of the horrors of vaping and what it can do to a person’s health, you must be wondering, Why do People Vape? In the past, many people have started vaping so it could help them quit smoking. Nowadays, teenagers view smoking as “cool,” which is why most started doing it. Moreover, the most common reason for teens to vape, and why they refuse to stop, is to boost their social standing.
How to Help Your Teen Quit Vaping?
The main takeaway here is that teenagers should never vape, and this is why parents must do anything in their power to get them to stop. For starters, there are already a few systemic changes the government and some private businesses might make to stop youths from vaping. Some of these can be:
- Increasing the price of e-cigarettes and e-liquid
- Setting limited access to e-cigarettes and vape juice
- Restricting the marketing around e-cigarettes
Moreover, as a parent, the best thing you can do to make your teen stop vaping is to pay close attention to how they act and how they are spending their money. Not only this, but you should also have a chat with them about all of the negative ways vaping will impact their life from a health standpoint. Plus, it is essential to talk to them about not falling victim to peer pressure and establishing rules about using tobacco and other drugs. Last but not least, parents must set a good example to their children by not smoking themselves and allowing teenagers to live in a smoke and vape-free household.
The Bottom Line
Vaping has numerous adverse effects on people’s health, such as lung problems, brain damage, addiction, and sometimes even death. These effects can have an even more significant impact on teens since their bodies are not even done developing. This is why parents must take a stance and make sure they keep their children safe and sound by teaching them all about the dangers of vaping and drug use.
By keeping your teen well informed, you could be able to protect them from making the big mistake of vaping and putting their health at risk. We hope this has helped you realize how dangerous vaping can be and why we should be wary of it.